Just for fun I thought I’d try the recipe I found at the bottom of this fantastic site about making wine.
The recipe is simply:
- 3 cans of concentrated grape juice
- 1 pack of bread yeast
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- six cans of water (using the grape juice cans)
- a balloon
- sanitize gallon jug with bleach
- put grape juice in jug
- put six cans of room temp water in jug
- add 1/2 cup of sugar
- shake shake shake
- add rapid rise yeast package (or if using reg yeast, put in a small cup with a teaspoon of sugar and a half cup of water… let it sit for about 10 minutes or foamy and then dump in jug
- put 5 holes in baloon with pin
- place balloon over jug and place jug in a warm dark spot for about 2 weeks.
What a fun project. I’d recommend punching at least one hole larger than a pin prick. Otherwise you may get some overflow. It’s amazing how active the yeast can be in the right environment. I put the jug in a pantry that’s a solid 70 degrees and the concoction was bubbling like a warm, shaken can of Coke on a hot day. It almost blew the balloon off the jug.
I’ll update the site with how it tasted.